Building Permits

Building Permit Application

Do I need a building permit? Click here to help you decide!

What you need to know .....


In 2022 an email was sent out advising the RM of Martin’s intention of adopting a new Building Bylaw.   The Construction Codes Act came into effect January 01, 2022 and it requires that ALL local authorities (municipalities) update, adopt a new building bylaw or become subject to the Model Building Bylaw.  The RM of Martin adopted their own Building Bylaw 245 /22, based on the model bylaw, and was approved by the Ministry of Government Relations Building and Technical Standards Branch and became effective June 27, 2022.

As previously mentioned, The Construction Codes Act (the CCA) came into force on January 1, 2022 and repealed and replaced The Uniform Building and Accessibility Standards Act as the legislation that governs construction standards in Saskatchewan.  Municipalities have always been responsible for administering and enforcing building and energy codes for buildings in their jurisdiction however under the old Act farm residences were included in the definition of farm buildings and therefore were exempt from these codes.  Under the new CCA farm buildings are still exempt but residences are no longer considered a farm building and therefore these standards apply to all new builds and major structural renovations that occur to any farm residence after January 1, 2022.

This means that effective immediately any new construction or structural alteration to houses/residences will require a Building Permit (whether the RM passed a bylaw or not!) and will be inspected by a Building Official (Building Inspector).  The only buildings exempt from this are farm buildings that DO NOT have sleeping quarters (shops, barns, bins etc used only for agricultural purposes).  ANY building with sleeping quarters or used for commercial purposes will require a Building Permit and be subject to a building inspection.

ALL DEVELOPMENT requires a Developmental Permit.  There is no charge for a Development Permit.  A Development Permit is required under the RM of Martin’s Zoning Bylaw.  A Development Permit outlines what and where you want to develop.  Acquiring a Development Permit is the FIRST STEP for ALL projects that alter or affect your property (not just buildings).

BUILDING PERMIT is a permit required under the RM’s Building Bylaw and mandated by the National Building Code of Canada.  A building permit ensures that all new buildings, alterations to existing buildings, changes to building use and building demolitions meet national safety standards. 

The cost of a Building Permit is $50 plus the Building Official (inspector) Inspection Fees which are based on the value of construction (VOC).  The Inspection Fee is calculated as follows:

VOC/$1,000 X $3.55 = Inspection Fee ($200 minimum)

VOC is determined by the owner unless it is unreasonable and then the building official will use a spreadsheet with industry rates to determine the value

Construction CANNOT take place until the permit is approved and the fees are paid

The length of time it will take for your permit to be reviewed and approved will depend on the complexity of your project.  To be safe you should apply for your Building Permit as soon as you have all of the information required and you know when you would like your project to begin.  The Building Officials recommend submitting your application a minimum of 14 days before construction is scheduled to start, however turn around times can be quicker.  Ensuring that your application is completed and includes both building and site drawings will help ensure a quicker approval timeframe.